Interview with Peruvian Photographer Fabián Alata


Fabián shows his talents as both a photographer and model in this self-portrait. 


Based in the city of Lima, Peru, Fabian Alata began toying with photography in 2001, and since 2004 has been building a seriously good portfolio of impressive work. A professional graphic designer, as a photographer Fabian is especially talented at using light and shadow, poses and facial expressions, to create shots that are both mysterious and sexy.
Fabian has been a friend of mine for several years, and was good enough to answer a few of my questions about his always-inspiring work. 




How did you decide to start taking photos?
There was someone who I liked a lot and decided to take photos of that person to see his anatomy better. The funny thing is that I didn’t use any film, I just was clicking the camera. I decided to do a new shoot with that person, but he said no. I think the found me out. So I asked my cousin, who I owe a lot for supporting me with this craziness at the beginning. 


¿Como decidiste empezar a estudiar y hacer fotos?
Había alguien que me gustaba mucho y decidí hacerle fotos para “ver mejor” su anatomía. Lo gracioso es que esa vez no use película alguna solo disparaba la cámara. Pasando los minutos me empezó a gustar lo que veía a través del lente. Decidí hacer una nueva sesión con esta persona pero se negó. Creo que me descubrió. Así que le pedí a mi primo, a quien le debo mucho por apoyarme con esta locura desde el inicio, que posara para  mí.



What is the message you hope to communicate with your work?
The most important is showing a person’s beauty, beyond what may be attractive within Western concepts. To show the impact that someone can achieve through his internal energy, bring that to light and convert it into a photo that can be commercially attractive or, as they say, “bonita.”


¿Cual es el mensaje mas importante que esperas comunicar con tu fotografia?
Lo más importante creo q es mostrar la belleza de una persona mas allá de que sea atractiva para lo que está dentro del canon occidental. Mostrar el impacto que puede lograr alguien a partir de su energía interna, sacarlo a la luz y convertirlo en una foto que pueda ser comercialmente atractiva o como dicen: “bonita”.


What are your professional goals?
Mi goals are to have my own studio where I may make mischief and art when I feel the need to. To work with large brands on artistic campaigns, photos on the covers of magazines, or exhibit my photos in the best galleries of the world. 


Cuales son tus metas profesionales?
Mis metas serian tener un estudio propio donde pueda hacer travesuras a artísticas a mi antojo. Trabajar con grandes marcas en campañas artísticas, fotos de portadas de revistas o exponer mis fotos en las mejores galerías del mundo. Más que nada creo que sería divertirme con muchas más personas y que el mundo entero pueda ver eso.

 

How would you describe the world of modeling in Peru?
Here in Peru, it’s a very conservative environment. There are few people who dare to do photography, especially nudes, because of prejudice or perhaps poor exhibition of the photos on the Internet or in print. The few people who are able to go beyond that are bold, daring people that, with more experience and experience with modeling, could go far. Another thing to keep in mind is that here there aren’t many opportunities for modeling, at least in terms of making it a professional career. 


¿Como describirias el mundo de modelaje en Peru?
Aquí en Perú se vive aun un ambiente muy conservador. Ya que son pocos los que se atreven a hacer fotografía mas que nada de desnudos tanto por los prejuicios o como la mala exposición de sus fotos en algunos medios ya sea el internet o medios  impresos. Los pocos que pasan este filtro, son personas audaces que quizá con un poco mas de practica y conocimiento del modelaje podrían llegar bastante lejos. Otra cosa que se debe tomar muy en cuenta  es que aquí no hay muchas oportunidades para el modelaje al menos como para una carrera profesional en ese medio.

 

How is Peru for photographers?
Photographers in my country are — and I feel proud to say this — very good. I would be lying if I say that I know a lot of famous ones; the few that I know are not famous. They are just waiting to show their work to the world. But I must admit that the photography circle in Lima is very closed and even elitist. There is a lot of potential here that hasn’t been exploited yet.
 

¿Y para los fotógrafos?
Los fotógrafos en mi país son, y me siento orgulloso de decirlo, bastante buenos. Si bien te mentiría diciendo que conozco muchos nombres reconocidos, los pocos que conozco y q no son famosos, simplemente están a la espera de  mostrar su trabajo al mundo. Aunque debo admitir que  el círculo limeño en la fotografía es bastante cerrado y hasta elitista, hay muchísimo potencial aquí q aun no se ha explotado debido a la sectorización de este arte.

 

What are you working on now?
Right now my plans are to put together the photo studio that I’ve always dreamed about, and to follow through with the various aspects of graphic design, which is my other passion. 


¿Tienes algunos proyectos especificos en este momento que te gustaria mencionar?
En este momento esta en mis planes ya empezar a constituir el studio de fotografía que siempre he soñado y por ahí una q otra propuesta artística en varios aspectos que involucran también al diseño grafico que es mi otra passion.

 

Where can we see more of your work?
At this time I don’t have an online portfolio, but I’m working on that. If you want to see samples of my work, you can visit my profile on Model Mayhem: www.modelmayhem.com/efaa or e-mail me at blazinefaa@hotmail.com. I’d love to receive comments.


¿Donde podemos ver mas de tu trabajo?
Por ahora no tengo un portafolio on line, aunque estoy trabajando en eso, si quieren ver algunos de mis trabajos pueden visitar mi profile en model mayhem www.modelmayhem.com/efaa o me pueden escribir (blazinefaa@hotmail.com) y me encantaría recibir todos  los comentarios que pudieran  hacer.

 

Comments

Post a Comment